Monday, November 5, 2012

Civic Engagement and the Young Child

One of our students carrying the flag during a graduation ceremony.

Election Day 2012 is tomorrow, November 6. No matter who you support, go to the polls and vote. It is an opportunity for you to voice your opinions and can also be a teaching moment for your young child.

You might think your young child is not interested in politics. And with many children, you would be correct – politics simply is not interesting. It’s tedious and can be downright nasty.

 However, as a teacher, I have observed some children are interested politics. In fact, this summer I observed two children, ages 4 years and 6 years, have a serious discussion about the presidential candidates. One child was even able to recite a candidate’s speech verbatim! Little ears hear big things and you never know what your child picks up and absorbs. Talk to your child – you might be surprised to find the future president in front of you.

I had no interest in politics when I was a young child. When my father took me to the polls with him, it was an exciting process and an important introduction to the responsibilities of citizenship.

I waited solemnly in line to wait for the next open booth, anticipating the vote. When it was my father’s turn, and we entered the small booth, I remember wondering what was so important about picking up a felt topped marker and filling in bubbles - I did it all the time in school! There were no levers to pull or exciting gadgets; it was just a long piece of paper with a list of names. However, my excitement was soon restored as I watched the gentleman in front of us feed his ballot into the machine. My father handed me his ballot and allowed me to slide it in. I took this responsibility very seriously, carefully placing the ballot into the slot. I watched with amazement as the machine snatch the ballot. Best of all, I received a sticker for voting!

I remember leaving the polling location, feeling as though I made a difference. It was a great feeling to have as a young child and it is a feeling that remains with me today as a voting citizen. 

So please, go vote. And, if you are able to, consider including your child in the process.  

No comments:

Post a Comment